What is an eCommerce website?
An eCommerce, (or ‘electronic commerce’) website, is a website that allows any form of business transaction – these include sites that allow you to purchase goods online such as shopping, auction and ticketing websites.
eCommerce platforms can come in various shapes and sizes – some come in the form of plugins others are standalone platforms themselves.
Run of the mill business websites do not usually have the same features as eCommerce enabled websites. To effectively distribute, market and sell goods or services on the internet you need specific features, typically: a shopping cart, the ability to process credit cards, an online product catalogue and automated stock control system, databases, email capture, and statistics tracking amongst others.
What are the benefits of an eCommerce website?
- Product management
- Configure your products however you like, adding variants such as colour or size.
- Manage stock levels and notify your customers when products are back in stock.
- Reward your loyal customers with discounts by creating coupon codes.
- Set up a range of shipping methods to suit you and your customers.
- Ongoing analysis
- Track the status of orders from sale to completion.
- Bulk export your orders and receipts.
- Ensures your website is fully mobile responsive, giving your customers a great experience on any device.
- Create optimised product listings that search engines will love.
So, I know I want an eCommerce website – now what?
You’ve decided to take your product offering online, great choice! You’re quickly blowing your visibility wide open nationally (or even internationally, if you choose!) So, where do you go from here? Next step, you need to choose an eCommerce website platform that suits you.
The most popular eCommerce website platforms are undoubtedly WooCommerce and Magento:
- WooCommerce – WooCommerce is a WordPress exclusive eCommerce plugin that can turn any WordPress website into a fully functioning online shop. This plugin makes it easy to add and edit your products and categories and is compatible with all major payment gateways.
- Magento – Magento is one of the most popular platforms for large online shops and is optimised to handle vast catalogues of products with ease. It’s got an overwhelming number of built-in features which can be a blessing (or a curse!) if you’re new to the platform.
What is the best eCommerce website platform for me?
Choosing the best platform for you can be a difficult decision. Luckily, we’ve run through some key facts to help make your life a little easier!
- Magento – as stated above, Magento is perfect for larger websites as it can handle a large catalogue of products with ease. The trade-off, however, is that Magento websites take longer to develop and are generally harder to maintain.
- WooCommerce – WooCommerce is easy to navigate and update – it’s generally only suited to a store with fewer products, however.
eCommerce Website Development in Warwick
When building an eCommerce website at Formation, we use either WooCommerce or Magento, depending on the size of your store. Both are great options that can carry out secure payments and can be customised including to your exact requirements.
To browse our extensive range of eCommerce websites, please visit our portfolio and case studies.