What is a Content Management System?
A Content Management System (CMS) is a software application used to create and manage the content on a website – in a nutshell, a CMS gives a website owner the ability to manage their website without having any technical knowledge of HTML.
Why do I need a Content Management System?
There’s a vast array of advantages to having a CMS system over a static HTML website, including:
- Content editing – a CMS allows you to keep your site up-to-date, without having to pay your developer each time you want to make changes.
- SEO friendly – with a CMS you’ve got the freedom to set metadata and URL’s to your choosing, most systems even have SEO plugins available that can help to create copy that search engines will love.
- User permissions – a CMS allows you to grant different access permissions to different users (author, editor or administrator, for example.) This enables you to ‘share the load’ whilst maintaining a high level of security.
Things to consider when choosing a CMS
There are a plethora of content management systems available to choose from for different types of websites, all of which have their pros and cons. Here are some things to consider before you take the first leap:
- Security – make sure the CMS you choose is maintained and updated regularly – new security risks emerge all the time and you need to be confident your CMS will protect you against them.
- Extensibility – choose a content management system that allows plugins to be installed – these nifty added extras will add extra functionality to your site such as optimising images or files, improving load time and creating and managing contact forms.
What Content Management System would we recommend?
Our go-to content management system at Formation Media is WordPress – originally developed as a blogging platform, WordPress has evolved to an amazingly extensive CMS that can easily be customised to suit any type of website, from e-commerce shops to web directories all the way to social media networks.
Still not convinced? Here are some rapid-fire facts for you:
- By gum, it’s popular – a third of the world wide web is now powered by WordPress – this popularity ensures the system is constantly being updated with new features and security improvements. Alongside this, there’s a huge community of developers creating themes and plugins for WordPress, meaning you can change your website as quickly as trends do.
- It’s easy to use – Our clients love WordPress as it’s so easy to use – when we develop a website using WordPress we make sure as much of the content as possible is editable through the CMS, enabling our clients to have full control over their website.
- Update with a click of the mouse – updating a website on WordPress is as easy as A, B, C, Done. WordPress and its plugins can be updated to their latest versions with the click of a single button.
- It’s easy to develop and customise – we create completely bespoke WordPress themes for all our clients that can be tailored to your exact needs – they’re futureproofed, too, and can be easily developed in the future to allow for new features.